VET Student Loans

Study now and pay later at Hammond Institute

The VET Student Loan (VSL) is a Commonwealth assistance loan that helps eligible students, studying for a diploma qualification or higher, to pay their tuition fees.

Under a VET Student Loan, the Australian Government pays your tuition fee on your behalf directly to Hammond Institute. 

The only upfront payment for students who qualify for the VSL is $200 application fees.

For a full list of VET Student Loan-eligible courses, visit Hammond Institute is approved to offer a selection of VET Student Loans eligible courses that are on the Department of Education and Training’s list. Each VET Student Loans eligible course has an associated capped amount. Eligible students are only entitled to loans up to the specified capped amount of each VET Student Loans eligible course.

VET Student Loans courses offered by Hammond Institute:

Students do not have to repay the VET Student Loans until their income is above the minimum repayment threshold for compulsory repayment. Voluntary payments may be made at any time.

For more information about the VET Student Loans, visit

Alternatively, you can view the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business YouTube video for an overview of the VET Student Loan program and your obligations.

To receive a VET Student Loan, you must:

  • be studying an approved course
  • provide a parent/guardian consent form if under the age of 18
  • be academically suited
  • an Australian citizen Or a qualifying New Zealand citizen Or a permanent humanitarian visa holder.
  • have not exceeded the VETSL debt (VET Student Loan debt) limit
  • have not exceeded the course cap
  • meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements
  • have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)or otherwise be exempt
  • confirm your engagement and progression to continue to access the loan throughout your course.

If you are under 18 years of age, a parent/guardian must complete and sign a VET student loans (VSL) parental consent form(external link).

This form must be provided to us prior to an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF)(external link) being issued.

Please note: this is not required if you have been assessed by Centrelink as meeting the requirements of receiving the independent Youth Allowance. In this case, you need to provide your Centrelink Income Statement.

If you decide to defer your fees via a VET Student Loan (VETSL debt), you will need to apply for a TFN in advance. Your TFN must be valid and your personal details with Hammond Institute must match those held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Hammond Institute is not notified about your invalid TFN until several weeks after you submit your Commonwealth Assistance Form. You will receive an email notification once we’re advised that your TFN can’t be validated – urgent action is required at this point if you want to keep your VETSL debt.

You can keep track of your debt by verifying the Commonwealth Assistance Notice that we provide you. Or you can access this information on these government websites.


myHELPbalance will help you keep track of how much you have borrowed under the various HELP loans from 2005 onwards.

Please note, there is a time lag between the census day and when your information on myHELPbalance is updated.


myGov allows you to get more information about your VETSL debt (VET Student Loan debt) online.

It will show:

  • all of your current VETSL debt
  • any indexation (increase) that has been applied to your debt
  • any repayments that you have made, so you can see how much you have left owing.